9.22.2003

 
AWANA AWARENESS

Just got back from AWANA (Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed) Bible Club tonight. This is our third week and I cannot believe the thrill to be working with kids again. Every year about this time I get that homesick feeling for the classroom. I haven’t been in a Jr. High/H.S. classroom in over a decade now and I still miss it. Working with kids helps me scratch a little bit of that itch.

But there are a variety of levels where I’m working. The most obvious is with the kids in the class – teaching them their verses, helping manage behavior, etc. The other level is teaching the AWANA helper teens. This isn’t anything I’m doing directly but simply by being there, being an example and demonstrating competency. A number of kids show promise and I really enjoy working with them.

And then there is teaching that happens when the kids teach me. Both the Sparks & and the teens are helping me learn a lot about myself. It’s great to be “back in the saddle” again even if I’m only doing a tiny part. I like tiny parts. I would much rather impact one or three or a few than be known by many and not having an impact. It’s all about influence. If I can do that, then I am content.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?