9.08.2003

 
On pg. 257 we see the following conversation snip:

"Why are they so stupid?.. Not to know the truth when they hear it?

"They aren't stupid," said the Speaker. "This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones we
really believe, and those we never think to question...."


So let us ask ourselves:

What belief am I not questioning?

What am I clinging to so tightly that I refuse to examine it critically?

Why is this so important? Because those beliefs we don't question are the ones we are blind to. They are the ones we don't even know we hold to, the ones we never think to question, examine, doubt. As a result we are closed to truth that contradicts these firmly held beliefs.

If I were a first century Pharisee my undoubtable beliefs would be in a triumphant political messiah and my own rigtheousness affording me a place in heaven. My encounter with Jesus would force me, not to confront my own wrong assumptions and beliefs but this "pretender" who can't possibly be the messiah because he doesn't match up with what I never think to doubt.

Now if this was true of the Pharisees, then I must ask myself, what beliefs do I cling to that prevent me from seeing Jesus Christ for who he is? What belief am I clinging to so tightly that, like the Pharisees, I can't know the truth even when I hear it?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?