7.04.2004

 
Back in the Saddle

The new job has kept me hopping and I haven't been posting here or at Gamaliel's desk for a while. So here's to getting up & running.

Just read an article at Pastors.com from Josh McDowell on youth not believing in absolute truth. Same ole same ole. Here's the script:

1. Identify the Crisis - in this screed it is that kids don't accept absolute truth. Don't define the crisis or nuance it or examine shades of meaning. Just shout the alarm.

2. Attach Blame - For the breakdown in absolutes it's (you would never have guessed this one in under 3 seconds, would you?) The Popular Media and Public Education. He missed the other two horsemen of the apocalypse - Government and Academia. Pardon me for nodding off to nap while this part of the speech drones on. Been there, done that, SOLD the T-shirts.

3. Assign Guilt - Today it is Fathers. Other parties on the guilt merry-go-round include Mothers and Churches. Do I sound cynical? As a father, I don't mean to take it personally but, hey, what can I say if I'm being made to feel like it's my fault that my children don't believe in absolute truth.

Here's the rub for me on a number of fronts:
- Absolute Truth is poorly defined
- The alternative is not mentioned
- There are no links establishing a cause-effect relationship
- There are no remedies to this tragedy
- There are no established consequences

IOW - what is the big deal? If Josh would listen to what the youth are saying, they are complaining that the oldsters have missed the boat. They say that even if there is absolute truth, we can't know it absolutely, so what's the point? Tis a fair question and one which has been on my mind of late....

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?