4.16.2005

 

Jesus Junk

I was thinking about Jesus Junk on the drive home last night after watching a car with fish symbol behave badly in traffic.

One of the reasons I don't wear Jesus Junk is because I don't want to reflect badly on the "brand" name. I'm not sure how good a representative I am of Jesus. I mean, would Jesus want someone like me walking around wearing an "I'm With Jesus" slogan on the back of a T-shirt? Especially when the front says "Hi. I'm A Sinner And..."?

But as I reflected on the gospels at 35 mph on a 4 lane freeway designed to handle speeds in excess of 70 mph in misnamed rush hour traffic, surrounded by ironies, I came to the ironical conclusion that Yes! I am EXACTLY the kind of person Jesus wants representing him on this earth. I'm right there with the guy that was running naked through the tombs, with the woman caught in adultery, with the greedy tax collector up a tree, the impetuous self-promoting fishermen. I'm all them. And more. Only worse.

So maybe I should stop trying to protect Jesus' reputation and let everyone know I'm a follower of him. A crippled, halting, stumbling, imperfect follower, sure; but a follower nonetheless. I may not follow well or closely but I am doggedly persistent. I will make big mistakes along the way but isn't that who Jesus is looking for? Honest people who depend on Him to get them through life? Didn't he come to seek and to save the lost rather than the found? Heal the sick rather than the ones who don't need a doctor? Well I definitely need the Doctor.

Come to think of it, all those hospital and drug testimonials come from a bunch of sick people don't they? It's the bald kid getting chemotherapy advertising Children's Hospital's cancer treatment center, not the cute little cherub who is the picture of health. "Undergoing Treatment" may not be a bad slogan for a Christian bumper sticker.

Maybe I will get the T-shirt. I wonder if they have that one at the Jesus Junk Store?

Comments:
Hey Rick,

Thanks for the heartfelt admission. I really think you should get the T-shirt and maybe a matching bumper sticker to go with it...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?